By: Matthew H. Fry, Esquire
As the weather gets hot and motorcycles continue to emerge from the garages of riding enthusiasts, it’s time to remind everyone to be on the alert and to carefully share the road with motorcycles.
Here are some tips that every motorcyclist and motorist should be aware of
- For motorists, know your surroundings by checking blind spots and alerting other drivers when changing lanes or turning;
- For motorists, do not text and drive or do anything else to distract your attention from the road;
- For riders, take precautions. Make sure you have protective gear such as a helmet and proper clothing and riding gear. You can make yourself more noticeable, such as by wearing bright colors and keeping your headlight on.
- For riders, learn and practice motorcycle safety and defensive riding. You can even take a course for motorcycle safety and defensive driving.
- For riders, before going out riding, be aware of any road hazards and check the weather conditions. Using apps such a Waze can give you fast and accurate information about traffic conditions, construction and hazards. Using a weather app can give you instant weather information to prepare you for slippery or dangerous road conditions.
Riders should also make sure they have adequate insurance. In the unfortunate event of a crash, typically it is the motorcyclist that bears the brunt of any injuries. Regarding motorcycle insurance, the more coverage you have for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits, Uninsured Motorist Benefits (UM), and Underinsured Motorist benefits (UIM), the better. Purchasing insurance on your motor vehicles and motorcycle on the same policy can provide you with even more coverage. Talk to your insurance agent to see if you can buy insurance that puts all of your vehicles on one policy and have them “stacked” for additional coverage. This could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional coverage in the event you are injured in a crash caused by another driver.
At the Law Firm of DiOrio & Sereni, LLP, we represent motorcyclists and motorists who are injured by the negligence of careless drivers. If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment to see an attorney, please contact Matthew Fry, Esquire at the Law Firm of DiOrio & Sereni, LLP at 610-565-5700 or email at [email protected].
The Law Firm of DiOrio & Sereni, LLP is a full-service law firm in Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. We strive to help people, businesses and institutions throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania solve legal problems – and even prevent legal problems before they occur. To learn more about the full range of our specific practice areas, please visit www.dioriosereni.com or contact Matthew H. Fry, Esquire at 610-565-5700 or at [email protected]
Like what you see? Join our mailing list